The Strange and Nebulous Phenomenon of Writer's Block
So, since this is a writer's blog, I thought I might want to actually have some posts about writing. ;)

I am currently suffering from the thing that is most dreaded in the writer's world, (Besides carpal tunnel syndrome) and that is Writer's Block.

I've hit 140,000 words on the first draft of my novel only to hit a wall that is seemingly a mile thick. Even after a five hours brainstorm session with my 'idea bouncer' Jessica, we didn't seem to be able to tunnel through it. I've explored many possible paths, but nothing seems to be able move the plot along naturally. I've even found the exact spot where the problem lies. To no avail. Now the waiting game begins until the correct step falls into my head.

Now, until that happens, I've decided to examine writer's block. Why is it that our brain suddenly stops? I've been working on this story for almost a year, so why do I lose the thread only a couple thousand words before the conclusion? It is definitely unexplainable.

I've been told many things: 'Writer's block doesn't exist', 'It's all a matter of willpower', and 'Your just procrastinating because you don't want to finish' (ha!). I don't believe any of these things, because I haven't written anything that benefits my plot in almost three weeks. Some theorists say that using writing prompts or starting on another story might help, but I can't motivate myself to do that...it feels like I'm almost abandoning my characters.

I don't think we'll ever figure writer's block out! What do you guys think? Leave a comment and tell me what you do to fix writers block!

CV

P.S. Don't forget to fan me on Facebook for exclusive updates! Click here.

3 Responses
  1. J.L. Johnson Says:

    I believe that everything happens for a reason. If we have 'writer's block' then there has to be a reason why. Perhaps you were working too fast and got ahead of your muse?

    A writer friend of mine was having a problem with a series of shorts. He was stuck in the middle of one, and couldn't find a way out. His mind kept jumping forward to another story, completely distracting him from his current WIP. I suggested he had written them out of order, and that his muse was trying to set him straight.

    I think this is what writers block is; our muse or creativity letting us know we've gotten ahead of ourselves, and for what ever reason, we need to slow down, or take a breather. Maybe there is something to learn before we can continue.


  2. Amber Says:

    I find writer's block is the time when my characters and I aren't speaking to each other. There can any number of reasons for this, the most recent having been that I locked one of my active, chatty characters in the back room of a tavern and she was too busy panicking and trying to get out of this place she didn't want to be to care to give me any insight.

    The problem simply was that she didn't want to be there. So I had two choices: bully my other active character in the scene to talk to me, or else else what I had written and get the poor girl out of the back room. I ended up bullying him, and it worked out nicely this time. Will it next time? Probably not.

    In general, I find it works out differently with everyone. I have a friend very like myself who just finished the first novel in her series and is looking to start another, but her muse is telling her to write it from another character's perspective. Usually the muse will poke us until we figure out what's wrong. You're close to the conclusion, yes? Maybe you've missed a piece....


  3. When I hit writer's block, it's because I've been moving in one direction for too long. It means it's time to mix it up alittle with something I haven't done before. Try poetry, writing dribble, check out six sentences website and try to tell a whole story in 6 sentences. Pretty dang tough. Or just sit back and read a good book.

    Best wishes to you for kicking the block aside and carrying on.


Post a Comment